lördag 22 maj 2010

Acer recovery problem 0xa0000001

Hi! My friend couldn't use recovery on his Acer. He got the 0xa0000001 error when trying. After much searching we found an solution. I was little skeptic about it, but it did work!
First of, backup all important data! You might loose it all otherwise. Note that we did delete the special partition with Asus mini OS. Maybe it's not necessary, but my friend did not use it anyway.

Solution (as we did it):
Delete all partitions except the first, pqservice. Create a primary partition for windows, after that a partition which is 10gb ntfs. Then create a extended partition with one partition for linux and one for linux-swap. You get the following partition structure: PQService|NTFS|NTFS|Extended{ext4|swap}

Install linux (I installed ubuntu 10.04) on the ext4. Use the "swap" as swap. This installs grub which can load acer recovery (at least it could for me).

Boot ubuntu or the distro you have installed. Copy PQService to the 10gb large NTFS partition. Open a terminal and use following command:
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sda3 (this is specific for hardware setup, sda might be wrong for you).

Restart and start recovery. Start the first one at the harddrive, not the copy (did not show up for me). I thought it was something wrong as I create a copy of a partition but don't use it. However it did work.

Found solution at: http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/137664-help-recovery-issue-my-new-aspire-5920g-2.html

1 kommentar:

  1. delete all partitions except pqservice..
    Reboot
    Recovery starts... d' oh

    SvaraRadera